12. December 2006
Modern architecture – according to Munich’s Lord Mayor Christian Ude – has a hard time in the white and blue metropolis. This scepticism also applies to the new main synagogue in the heart of Munich’s historic district. The inauguration of the Jewish Community Center at St. Jakobplatz, right next to the Town Hall and the Church of Our Lady, is the highly symbolic result of twenty long years of incessant agitation and promotion by the President of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, Charlotte Knobloch. The Jewish community’s move from the outskirts of Munich to its new, and at the same time old location in the middle of town is the crowning moment of her life’s work. 68 years after the Pogrom Night, the new main synagogue features again prominently in the Munich skyline, just as its predecessor once did. In memory of the orthodox synagogue destroyed by the Nazis back in 1938, the new synagogue bears the same Hebrew name:
Ohel Jakob (“Jacob’s Tent”).